November 2, 2004

About two, three days ago, I stopped by a street vendor (quan an) on Hai Ba Trung Street to try some bun rieu. It's really just a rollaway cart that a couple had set up on the side of the alleyway, set in a bit from the main street. There were just 4 tables and plastic chairs lined along the wall, and I was the only customer. With lots of faith I ordered a bowl; the noodles were not spectacular, as I've had better cooking from mom's own kitchen. Perhaps it was because I hadn't had any bun rieu in a while, and I wanted to make conversation, so I told the cook it was good, that it was my first bowl of bun rieu in quite a long while. She smiled pleasantly and said it was 8000 vnd. I thought it was a fair price, but after I left, I couldn't help but think she was smiling pleasantly b/c she probably overcharged me for the bowl. Well, today, I stopped by again, and the husband was bustling around waiting on the tables while she was cooking and I ordered the same thing. Lo and behold, this time, it was only 6000 vnd. Surprise! I'd like to think that maybe the late hour reduced the price, or maybe it was because I'd complimented them last time. Who knows?

No comments: