January 31, 2007

Custards as security threats



On the evening of Tuesday, January 9th, the Immersion group arrived at the Hong Kong Airport to leave for Singapore. We had just finished a long day filled with events and were about to settle down for a 3-hour flight to Changi Airport. Most of us thought it would be wise if we ate in the terminals, especially since we wouldn't land in Singapore until 11:45 p.m. Because there were two checkpoints, a few of us (Mai-Anh, Candis, Susie, Virginia, and I) decided we would go through the first checkpoint before getting something to eat.

Immediately in front of our boarding gate was the second and last checkpoint so we decided that we'd just some noodles at the cafe nearby. I gleefully purchased some egg custard b/c I didn't get a chance, naturally, to buy any during the short days we were in Hong Kong. We bought four custards along with our bowls of noodles, but before we could eat the custards, it was time to board. Foolishly, I packed up the custards in a cute little container. Little did I know.

It wasn't until when we reached checkpoint did we realize they were hand-checking every carryon item for every passenger -- indiscriminately. When it came my turn, I noticed that a few like Gary, Kelly, Theresa, etc. were still stuck in line. As I walked up to my security person, I noticed that they had already boarded about 1/3 of the plane. Of course they would never leave w/o us, but I felt extremely anxious. Mostly it was because of the grim-faced security folks standing there, gloves in hand ready to take apart our bags. We all know the plane would never depart, but it was still a bit nerve-wracking. Pre-occupied as I was with the boarding situation, I didn't pay attention to my custards -- poor, poor custards! I just handed them over to the security guard w/o any reservations.

"What's inside?" He was looking at me through squinted eyes. It still didn't register with me yet. I mean, I'd already gotten rid of the stupid bottles of water. The plane is filling up w/ people, too, Mr. Security.

"What? Inside? Oh, custards. You know, egg custards."
"Open it up."

I gingerly open my box of custards, and there they were, just sitting there surrounded by white carton walls.

"You can't take them on the plane."

"Come again? Can't take them on the plane?"

"They're liquid-y. You can't take them on."

"You're kidding me, right?" I actually said that, and the words surprised even me when they came gushing out. "So, can I give them to my friends to eat while they wait in line?" This is when I should have eaten them. Right there. On the spot. Just stuff them into my mouth as I stood there to prove that I will not explode or die of poison.

"What friends? Who? Where are they?"

I gesture frantically over to Kelly and Theresa in line. "Over there, in line, my friends can eat them...?" Yes, sir, Mr. Security. They're gonna eat the custards and then explode because the custards are so dangerous.

In the end, they tasted the delicious custard and I had to go without. I want to go on record to say that I never ate even one custard while on this trip.

Yeah, custards are dangerous indeed. They were going to make my arteries explode because of their fat content and cholesterol.

1 comment:

T. said...

Great, now it's almost 2 a.m. and I'm craving custard. Yum:)