February 24, 2007

The Scholar Ship

It's basically a school located on a cruise ship that travels around to different ports in the world. Students of the Scholar Ship are actually enrolled in the seven participating consortial universities (UC Berkeley being the most recently joined) in different programs, taking intercultural courses on politics, environment, culture, television, literature, history, etc. There are field studies, shore excursions, and independent travel; all this applied towards undergrad and postgrad studies. There will be 600 students, plus teaching faculty, administrative staff, and crew.

September 2007, the inaugural voyage will take off from Athens and then travel through Asia, North & South America, and the South Pacific. The semester is 16 weeks on this cruise ship -- including port stops and shore excursions -- around the world.

Why didn't they have this kind of thing when I was in school? Life would have been very different -- I would not have been a shy, geeky nerd trapped in a campus of 3000+ teens. Instead, I might have been a shy, geeky Asian traveling around the world on a cruise ship.

Intercultural learning and multicultural environment.

How do I stow away? I doubt they'll even know I'm there...

1 comment:

ashley said...

There just happens to be a Royal Caribbean commercial on as I'm reading this. And as I'm quite sure you know, this college experience would've been my worst nightmare. But an intriguing idea all the same.