April 8, 2007

Obsessions du Jour

We wouldn't be human if we did not harbor some sort of obsession each day of our lives. Thanks to Ms. Pen, I'll use this opportunity to list my most recent/current obsessions -- pitiful and meaningless as they are at this point.

1. House. As in Dr. Greg House. He is vulgar, crass, opinionated, self-centered, arrogant, sexist, intolerant, but absolutely brilliant. He could diagnose any medical illness known to man, and does it with the quickest wit and sharpest tongue on Fox television. I haven't been this intrigued by a man before, and he's a lame one at that. At the beginning of each episode, I can't wait to figure out who he will offend next and why they tolerate such behavior.

2. Bitter melons. This is not a new thing, but I've recently developed a stronger craving for this bitter, green vegetable -- and nothing seems to appease my appetite. Regardless of how you prepare the bitter melon, it still tastes the same -- delicious.

3. Office cleanliness. I've been obsessed with keeping my office clean. All of my desks need to be perfectly spotless and shiny with as few items cluttering the tabletop as possible. Last week, a student unwrapped some candy while standing above my desk, and during our entire conversation, I had to sit on my hands to quell the urge to pick up each tiny drop of sugar that spattered the tablecorner. My computer screens, bookshelves, and tables have to be dusted almost daily, and each piece of paper has to be filed perfectly centered inside each appropriately labeled, color-coded file folder. I know this borders on OCD, but I don't know how else to deal with the mountainous load of work that piles up. The more work that needs to be accomplished in the office, the stronger the urge to re-organize and re-arrange. It's the age-old need to control my busy-ness through cleanliness.

4. Unknown. I'd like to think there is a friendly face out there somewhere from some unknown country, unknown organization, and unknown continent who visits the website periodically. If it weren't because of sitemeter I would never know that this person (or persons) has flickered through nothing but HAT's. Who are you? Where do you come from? Are you the visitor from Lima? From Indonesia? Queensland? Oceania? New South Wales? Why is it that the unknown compels us so?

5. Origami cranes. I have about 600 before I make my first 1000. The work is slow but steady.

7 comments:

Cue said...

Well said! And, great seeing you last week. :)

penelope said...

Where do you put all the cranes? And where does one purchase bitter melons?

hat said...

The little ones are in glass jars -- many, many glass jars, and the large ones are strung up and hung around the house. The rest are in a huge pile by the door. Cranes are everywhere. The bitter melons are usually found in the markets in Oakland Chinatown. Or I find them at Ranch 99, an international foods market in El Cerrito. Yum!

mendacious said...

what colors may i ask? melons and cranes?

hat said...

The bitter melons are, strangely, a spring-like green of varying shades. The cranes are of many colors. I especially love the chiyogami cranes b/c they feel like folding felt paper -- like smooth and sultry cranes. Currently though, I'd folding gold foil cranes, and they're a bit more finicky, a lot more demanding. Each crease has to be made just right; each fold is permanent and can't be undone. I also like the rainbow colored ones that are about 2"x2". Each square folds into a tiny crane with different colored wings, beaks, tails, bodies, etc. Sometimes the bright spots show up in the strangest places like a crooked tail or a lopsided beak. I never know how they turn out.

ashley said...

I was actually going to blog about House! I just recently started watching this show and I LOVE IT!

hat said...

Ash, season two is absolutely addictive. Did I tell you that in order to catch up to season three, my brother and I rented old episodes of House and had a 12-hour marathon of pure madness...? And people wonder what's happened to all my brain cells...