July 11, 2007

All things lavender

Last Saturday, I was able to wander about the farmers market outside the ferry building in San Francisco. Every Saturday is a big affair, with local artists and farmers and grocers setting up shop inside and outside the ferry building selling their wares. It is a lovely, beautiful, visceral experience. We're at once under the sun and smelling the fruits, flowers, oils, nuts, foods, etc. Everything is everywhere and all your senses are popping; it feels good to be alive when you're jostling into the midst of the crowd, knowing that strangers' hands are being shoved this way and that into baskets and buckets and bowls of samplers. The organic nature, the openness of the atmospher, the hustle and bustle of the crowds -- all of that combine into a very physical sense of self, of being. I love going to farmers markets because they remind me of the connectedness of things, and I feel good, and happy, to be a part of community (even as I am a completely individualized stranger among others).



Are these not the biggest, fattest torpedo onions you've ever seen? I found these while wandering around the farmers' market at the SF ferry building. I love the fact that I can go anywhere on any given day and be able to find a farmers market. It's lovely!

1 comment:

ashley said...

What a wonderful way to spend the day! I love the color palette here. Did you buy anything?