August 10, 2007

zipped, mum, silence

One danger of making grand declarations is that you fail to carry them out. But the trouble with talking candidly about what one thinks and believes is always a risk, particularly if one were crawling around other people's spaces. Thanks to the WWW, we've managed to wiggle our way into any one's page, friendly or foe, and thanks to the internet, we are able to opine and comment in any way we choose, on any subject we prefer.

Recently, I got myself involved in a conversation about the role of women in the church -- particularly, ordained women. I have always maintained an open position on the ordination of women, accepting and supportive of the United Methodist Church's stance on the role of women clergy. However, I know that many people do not accept the same. In fact, some of the more conservative friends that I have may even say that I and others like me are merely "demanding" titles and degrees, that women who wish to be ordained are merely shirking our "divine duties" (thien chuc) as mothers. Ah, this is not a new argument, and I will skirt around the issue b/c I do not wish to enter into this debate at this time (when IS the right time, then?). I bring this up to say that it surprises me, frequently, whenever I am reminded that many of my friends and relatives maintain a position so oppositional to mine. Quelle surprise!!?! Not at all. I don't mean that it is a surprise that they have differing opinions, but what I am surprised about is that they find it so uncharacteristic of me, or they think I have been negatively influenced by my particularized upbringing in the U.S.

I admit that I have qualms about articulating my position, mostly because I fear that some irreparable harm will be committed, and that we will not be able to move forward amiably after having our conversations. And since those who have religious views drastically different from mine consist of 99% of my coworkers, friends and family (who are still speaking to us), well, we go through daily life cheerfully discussing things that are irrelevant to what really matter to us. Because, frankly, I could debate the merits of ordaining women with my uncle in C--, but it would only strain our relationship even further b/c he already feels I've strayed so far...

Alas, alas.

No comments: