November 10, 2007

Friends

Yesterday I found out that a friend of mine who had recently published a book had named me among her list of closest friends in the Dedication and Acknowledgments. And this came from someone whose opinion and friendship means a great deal to me, but whom I never imagined would consider me among her top five (how silly it is to say Top Five as if we were still in primary school or on some reality T.V. show!) to be thanked. In her 40+ years of life experiences, being who is she, there are multitudes of people who esteem her, love her, care for her, admire her, respect her, and who have given her so much in return. As for me, I've only been fortunate to have claimed three years in her circle of friends, and in consideration of every one else, I'm a small, mewling little thing compared to the others. For this reason, I am honored, and overwhelmed by her generosity in extending friendship and companionship. This is also an example of who she is -- the great and the small have all enjoyed her presence, and are able to call her friend.

When I actually held the book in my hands, seeing my name printed, I did not know what to say or to think. What have I done, really, to deserve being called such a friend?

No comments: