February 1, 2008

Goat Meets Rat in 2008


I was born in the Year of the Goat. When folks ask how old I am, I say that I am "tuoi Ky Mui." Most people would not know how to quickly calculate the biological years -- 20? 25? 30? It is enough for them to know I'm giving them an out by not dueling them. Plus, it's also an interesting turn in the conversation -- their amazement at my ability to count according to the Chinese/Vietnamese calendar diverts their attention away from pursuing the quantitative answer to their question. I cannot recall when this perverse tendency began, but for many years now I've enjoyed the ability to thwart people's inquisition. No matter how casual or kindly the intention, the question, when posed by certain individuals, causes me much irritation. So I say I'm Ky Mui. You figure it out. I didn't ask you yours, so I'm not telling mine. This annoyance I believe comes from the "negative traits of the Goat." According to Wikipedia:

Negative traits of the Goat: (In Vietnamese, Goat = Mui)
Irresponsible, anxious, lazy, self-pitying, capricious, indecisive, insecure, violent, vengeful, resentful, judgmental, discriminating, careless, ultra-sensitive

There you have it. Ultra-sensitive.

Another thing? When I put in my birthday on the Blogger profile, Blogger tags me as a Sheep, and Virgo. Vietnamese would know that we do not call it the year of the sheep even though it can be translated either way (sheep or goat) from the Chinese character. As far as I know, the Chinese call it the Year of the Ram or Year of the Sheep. But Vietnamese call it Year of the Goat. Why? I don't know (more research, anyone?) Sheep or Goat, says Wiki, no one ever calls it the year of the Ewe. Eeeew. Haha.

And the Virgo thing? Well, when calculating my birthdate according to the Gregorian calendar, I'm Virgo, but in actuality, my equivalent western sign is Cancer, not Virgo. And, my lucky number is 2 (I'm the middle/second child. coincidence? I think not).

There's more.

My element: Earth
(In Vietnamese, "tho) earth bears metal in the Generating Cycle of Balance, and earth absorbs water in the Overcoming Cycle of Balance

My polarity: Yin
(In Vietnamese, "am") the dark element: it is passive, dark, feminine, negative, downward-seeking, consuming and corresponds to the night.

The Goat/Sheep/Ram is the 8th sign of the Vietnamese (and Chinese) zodiac. The Goat is the creative sign -- the artistic, temperamental one. Given that 2008 on the lunar calendar is the Year of the Rat, I have to find out what it means for a Goat to enter the new year on the tails of my rodent friend.


*For a good, general description of Vietnamese Lunar New Year, go to this blog, but I suspect there's some plagiarizing from Wiki... but, what do I know?

No comments: