February 14, 2008

Golden Beet Veggie Bowl


This past Christmas, my boss gave me a wonderful piece of functional art. It is a piece from Margaret Dorfman's Veggie Bowls collection. It is made of golden beet that has been cured for a long period of time, then molded into the shape of a bowl that holds a candle or potpourri or maybe some small, light candies. The translucent texture of the gold beet is gorgeous and the brilliant gold glows, especially when illuminated by candlelight.

It is a charming gift that reminds me of the eco-consciousness and ecological stewardship that we are called to cultivate.

My problem is what do I do with this fragile gift? It sits on a shelf right now, rather lonesome, and slightly abandoned without anyone admiring it fully. It should be stored away from light and humidity, and can probably crackle and crumble if anyone puts a teeny bit of pressure on it. What do I do? Where do I put it? I'm not used to having to deal with so much fragility!

By the way, you can find these at The Treehouse in Rockridge on College Avenue. Lovely place. "Green" gifts all around.

Please note picture is of Thai Papaya, not Golden Beet.

No comments: