February 2, 2008

Mum: Not Mai, But Cuc


This is a retraction, apology, whatever, for the post Me and My Mum If you were to read my post, then go back to Vietnam during Tet, go to Cho Hoa (flower market) and point to a Mum and called it "hoa mai", they'd have no idea what you're talking about and would think you're crazy. That's because I'm crazy. Perhaps it's been too long since I was in Vietnam, but mums are not "mai" but they are "cuc." Just as beautiful, but not really called the same thing. Mai comes in different colors and the yellow ones are called "mai vang". So sorry for the mistake during language lesson!

Incidentally, because I need to tell someone about it, on the day that I purchased the mum, I also wanted to by a tree of "mai vang". Well, the one I wanted was $70.00. Should I have gotten it? I felt like I was about to rip my arm off and give it to the woman. She didn't seem to care that I desperately wanted the tree but did not want $70.00. Was I wrong? Does it not seem excessive that they would charge that much? I suppose if it were a Christmas tree, I would hesitate less. Still, $70 for a tree? Am I pulling a Scrooge here?

Anyway, so what I did, brilliantly might I add, was to purchase a bunch of fabric yellow mai so that I can hot glue it to a tree branch. It sounds tacky, and tedious. So, after taking it home, I promptly dropped it in a bowl where it still sits. :)

Chuc mung nam moi, ya'all!

No comments: