April 22, 2008

Eating my rice one penny at a time

Last week, my parents told me they were buying rice in bulk - major. Apparently, the Vietnamese community in Arlington, TX, where they live, and in southern CA and in other areas of the U.S. have been stocking up on rice. The price for a 25 pound bag of rice has risen 3x what it used to be -- and anyone who eats rice as a staple is running to the stores. Why? You know why. Countries producing crop in SE Asia have been suffering; crops fail; or crops may fail; people hear bits and pieces through the grapevine and before you know it, Nam Hung in Arlington gets stampeded by rice-seeking consumers. Phuoc Loc Tho in Orange Country raises prices on rice. Ranch 99 thinks I'll pay through the nose for white jasmine rice, so... Demand goes up, and supply (which may not have been scarce before the stampede) really, truly BECOMES scarce.

My siblings and I eat rice almost every day, but it takes us quite some time to finish a 25 pound bag. I can't even tell you how much I pay for a bag. It's quite shameful but I go into Ranch 99 and swing my cart into the aisle and plop a 25-lb bag into the cart w/o thinking twice. At check-out, I don't even bother verifying the price. It's such a staple, and I can't imagine not having rice. I can't imagine not having money for rice. So I buy w/o thinking.

Now I'm told rice prices are sky-rocketing. Now I hear that I'll be affected by prices. Now I pay attention.

But Now may be too late.

Or is it? I know it starts with making a statement to our nation's leaders -- starting with the very top. WE need to tell them to commit the U.S. to the world-wide campaign to end hunger. We as citizens need to tell them our nation should commit to the Millennium Campaign, goal #1 of which is to eradicate poverty and hunger. Make our voices heard at the G8 Summit.

Make a commitment. Sign the petition urging President Bush to take seriously our role in the G8 Summit in Japan this summer.

No comments: