January 10, 2009

"He saw the heavens torn apart"

As I was pondering about this week's lectionary and the painting below by He Qi, I wanted to blog about the words "torn apart" in Mark 1:10, mostly because I don't always envision the scene as this painting depicts it: a holy ray of light shining down on Jesus's head with the Spirit descending like a dove. I wanted to say that sometimes, I think about the ragged edges that are "torn" -- not something that can be seamlessly sewn together after being ripped asunder. I wanted to say that even if the heavens were torn, the scene probably wasn't as beautiful and peaceful as we often imagine it to be. I wanted to talk about so much more. But then I found this incredible sermon by the Rev. Dr. Barbara K. Lundblad, who articulated everything I wanted to say, and much, much more.

Here is a small excerpt:

But the torn place is where God comes through, the place that never again closes as neatly as before. From the day he saw the heavens torn apart, Jesus began tearing apart the pictures of whom Messiah was supposed to be--

Tearing apart the social fabric that separated rich from poor.
Breaking through hardness of heart to bring forth compassion.
Breaking through rituals that had grown rigid or routine.
Tearing apart the chains that bound some in the demon's power.
Tearing apart the notions of what it means to be God's Beloved Son.

Nothing would ever be the same, for the heavens would never again close so tightly.


Does that not blow you away? Read it here. Dr. Lundblad is Associate Professor of Preaching at Union Theological Seminary in New York, and is ordained in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.



In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased." - Mark 1:9-11

1 comment:

Elizabeth E. Grey said...

this makes me think of my favorite christmas carol line- "our God, heaven can not hold him..."
i always liked that so much as a kid, because it trounced the idea that God was a remote cloud entity. as an adult i like even more the idea that God can not be contained by any construct, physical or otherwise. :)