March 11, 2009

Crime & Punishment

I just returned from watching Crime and Punishment at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre. It is absolutely wonderful. As you can imagine quite a lot of content (and characters) get spliced out of the story, but that's what happens when you pare down a substantial novel into 90 minutes on the stage. However, the performances were powerful, and the stage setting was inspirational. The entire set consisted of one metal frame spring bed, one wooden table, two metal folding chairs, and an entire wall of doors. I should have counted to see how many doors were there, but they were painted various shades of blue and gray, and the actors entered and exited the scenes through these doors. They were fabulously hung from ceiling to floor... If only I had my camera with me.

The world premier opened in Illinois, but I absolutely recommend that you go see it (if it's coming to your city). Visit the Berk Rep website (see link above) to read about the playwrights and the play. It's a wonderful opportunity!

No comments: