April 20, 2009

Wicked

Last Saturday, we went to see "Wicked" at the Orpheum in SF. It. Was. Phenomenal. This is what it means to re-interpret the story, to re-write a story in a way that honors and uplifts strong women who are not afraid of being different. This musical asks me to reconsider how I define good, bad, evil, wicked, etc. It asks me to think about our inner motivations and our inner mysteries. Always, we are asked to reveal our inner selves, to expose our deeper layers as if we were onions always wearing layers to be peeled. But what happens if we do as Gregory Maguire does for Alphaba and actually heighten our mysteries? How much more interesting and complicated life is!

How many women do we know who are willing to defy gravity, to not accept limits imposed upon them?

Something has changed within me
something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
of someone else's game
too late for second-guessing
too late to go back to sleep
it's time to trust my instincts
close my eyes and leap

It's time to try
defying gravity
I think I'll try
defying gravity
and you can't pull me down

I'm through accepting limits
'cuz someone says they're so
some things I cannot change
but till I try, I'll never know
Too long I've been afraid of
losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
it comes at much too high a cost
I'd sooner buy
defying gravity
Kiss me good-bye
I'm defying gravity
and you can't pull me down


- "Defying Gravity", from Wicked, Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

1 comment:

Elizabeth E. Grey said...

did you read the book?