August 11, 2009

Chew On This

When the swine flu swept through various parts of our nation, many were afraid of catching this sticky little virus from unexpected sources. Not surprisingly, quite a few people were afraid of taking communion during worship services. The questions of hygiene and holy communion cropped up, I'm sure, especially during those moments when we were standing in line waiting to receive the host, or kneeling at the altar waiting for the chalice. I'm certain a good number of people probably wondered if the servers at their church had thoroughly washed their hands prior to administering.

In response to (or perhaps anticipation of) the concerns over eucharistic health issues, the Dean of Chapel at our school disseminated a notice to the community explaining the precautions that had been taken, reassuring one and all that drinking from a metal chalice might in fact be more sanitary than intinction -- imagine all those grimy fingers possibly dipping into that wine! Yuck.

However disgusting that all might seem, and however unsanitary the steps might appear, precautionary measures aside, I understand that partaking of the broken body of Christ requires a certain faith in the mystery of communion. We are, after all, eating of the fragments, chewing on the bits and pieces, grinding, gnawing, and swallowing all that have been offered.

When I think of this week's lectionary (from John 6:51-58), I ponder about the challenge/invitation/call we hear from Jesus: "eat my flesh" and "drink my blood".

Chew, grind, crush, gnaw, masticate, roll it around and crunch it up, soften or reduce it to pulp then swallow. It's one tough piece of meat, and chewing on it is going to take all your energy and concentration. (Or does it?)

And perhaps, it's the swine flu causing us to question, to reconsider whether or not we partake. Other times, it's something different causing us to pause, to hesitate.

What would you say has been causing you (me, her, him, them) to not chew on this bread of life, not eat from the table?

If you choose not to partake, there's so much more lost than just the swine flu. You might fear this little sickness, but you'll miss out on the sweet nourishment, too, especially the abiding in part. You lose out completely. The whole part about being one bread, one body? Lost. Eternal life? Lost.

Come, taste and see.

6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."

6:52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

6:53 So Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

6:54 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day;

6:55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink.

6:56 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them.

6:57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me.

6:58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever."

- John 6:51-58

No comments: