October 28, 2009

Reverse Trick-or-Treating

I'm a glutton for chocolate, and I want to do something good to offset my gluttony for the choco-liciousness of cho-co-latte!

Did you know that for Halloween, you can buy Fair Trade Certified chocolate?! It's not just about finding that exotic chocolate combination (dark chocolate & chili, semi-sweet and bacon!). When I buy chocolate, I want to know that:

+ the company prohibits the use of abusive child labor in cocoa industry
+ the company adopts safer, chemical-free farming methods
+ the company uses renewable energy sources
+ the Fair Trade price I paid for chocolate raises farmers' incomes
+ the Fair Trade price I paid supports a more environmentally sustainable small-scale farming model

All this is something I learned while reading about Reverse Trick-or-Treating. Check it out!

Go ahead. Snap that chocolate bar in half to hear that crisp break. Indulge in your wildest chocolate fantasies, but do it Fair Trade!

No comments: