June 29, 2010

Going Forth in Grace Alone

The last few months have brought me much anxiety surrounding a variety of issues. One concern which is foremost in my mind is my recently adopted state of unemployment. The decision to leave my post working at the Episcopal seminary in Berkeley was an extremely difficult decision to make -- one with varying levels of positive and negative consequences -- and I am still transitioning and acclimating to my new life here in Saint Louis. To say that I miss the work is an understatement. The position was, for me, an ideal combination of academics and church; that is, I was involved in the administrative work of a graduate teaching institution and I was also involved in the work of the church -- grooming leaders for ministry in God's church, in fact.

To step away from all that was a challenge because I believed in and committed myself to the mission and the vision of our institution -- we were working together, school and church, to make a difference in the lives of church leaders and therefore in the lives of every person touched by the students we graduate.

But the Holy Spirit pushes us to go forth -- sometimes in Grace alone -- out of our comfort zones to do something new and different. Although I miss the work I had been doing, I must trust that God will lead me to do something more... something more transformative, more needed. We will go forth in Grace alone.

No comments: