March 2, 2007

Why I Hate... AsianWeek's Faux Pas

While I loathe to join in any sort of forum that contributes to the popularizing of something as undeserving as Kenneth Eng's racist Op Eds on AsianWeek, so many people have commented on Kenneth Eng's ignorant, racist rant that I feel compelled to participate in the discussion.

I've decided not to link to any of his articles or to any sites that post his articles (even in commentary) b/c I think they should not be posted and reposted in cyberspace. Suffice it to say, his pieces are filled with anger, ignorance, prejudice, racism, and bad, uneducated writing.

I am disappointed, however, that so few people responded (whether in agreement or disagreement) when AsianWeek published his article "Why I Hate Asians". It was only when his article "Why I Hate Blacks" was published that the comments started rolling in. Interestingly, it was the leaders in the Asian communities that denounced the magazine for publishing that kind of rubbish, and it was the Asian community that apologized for such poor journalism. After that, it all broke loose.

But, you don't hear the public outcry against his rantings against Asians. You don't even know that he wrote an article deriding many different races. Racism at all levels, directed to any individual or any group, is unacceptable. Without doubt. It is a shame that any of the articles of such a person was ever published. A real shame.

No comments: