June 29, 2007

Lodged and refusing to budge

Fishbone swallowing incident update:

It's still there. I've been coughing an awful lot since Wednesday night, bringing up phlegm (yuck, sorry you had to hear that), but the stupid fisbone won't go away. It's just lodged in my throat. When I called the Kaiser advice hotline Wednesday night (ca. 1:00 a.m.), the registered nurse on call said it's no big deal b/c it happens all the time.

"Are you having difficulty breathing?" No, ma'am.

"Is it painful when you swallow?" No, ma'am.

Well, it is now a bit more uncomfortable, like I have this thing hitched to my esophagus lining, but it's not painful when I swallow. I just feel it in my throat.

What should I do? Anyone out there who's had a fishbone stuck in their throat for more than 24 hours? (And, no, I don't think it's just scratched b/c I did feel the bone - don't ask me how, but I did.) Au secours!

No comments: