June 29, 2007

"A swallowed fishbone penetrating the oesophagus"

OK, on Wednesday I swallowed a fishbone. I just found this fascinating article written by Sabah M. Al-Shukry, about a female patient who came to Rustaq Hospital, Rustaq, Sultanate of Oman. The abstract:
40-year-old woman presented with the history of swallowing a fishbone one hour earlier. Since the patient was swallowing normally and the X-ray results were negative, she was reassured and sent home. Twenty days later, when the patient again presented with pain and tenderness in her neck, the fishbone was detected in the left sternomastoid muscle, and removed under local anaesthesia.

She returned three times before they could find anything and do anything. Like her, I am swallowing normally -- solids and liquids -- and there is no painful swelling. Examination of the throat does not present any abnormalities, and no foreign objects are visible. Patient is in good condition, and vital signs are normal.

I doubt that my fishbone is as long as hers (which was 3 cm), but I have no doubt I'm "presenting" with the same signs. Should I go to the doctors now? I'm such a chicken!

And then, there's this article about the aorto-eosophageal:
This report describes perforation of the oesophagus after eating fish complicated by perforation of the aorta six days later. The patient had not knowingly swallowed a fish bone. Aorto-oesophageal fistula is almost universally fatal. In the case described here, the fistula was demonstrated on contrast computed tomography before surgery, thus informing surgical management. The patient is the eighth reported survivor.

Now, I'm wondering, does anyone ever intentionally swallow a fishbone? Yikes.

No comments: