April 4, 2008

Handsomest fella in my heart...

[photo removed]

Stats: B., age 1 year and 1 month old; curly dark blond hair, light colored eyes, walks with Frankenstein-esque style; living with parents; loves big copier machines, computers, and Monkey.

My only claim to him is that I and the rest of our faith community were lucky enough to be around when Ben's parents welcomed him into our midst last year. I saw pictures of him when he was first born in February. I heard about his mom having to live in a hotel room for four months to care for him while waiting for adoption papers. I saw photos of the hotel room where they had to stay because he and his mum couldn't leave his birth state of Indiana until he was legally adopted. I held his little, five-month-old self in my arms when he first arrived in Berkeley. I saw how he grew, and I shared with him my all-time favorite children's books: Good Night Moon & Where the Wild Things Are.

[photo removed]

In two months' time, B. and his parents will be moving to Austin, TX, and though he will always be a special little guy in heart, he will soon reach two years, then 8, then 12, then he'll be 16 and driving, and by then he would have no recollection of the lady he used to visit at the office. This Saturday, we celebrate his adoption. The whole community will come together to eat, drink, and be merry, knowing that we are a part of his life. We celebrate his uniqueness and we give thanks for his presence in our own lives. We heralded his coming, and we now celebrate in thanksgiving as he journeys forth to Austin, and into the world.

1 comment:

ashley said...

What a darling boy! Isn't it amazing how easily they touch and change lives at that age? Safe travels and good fortune to Ben as he makes his way into the world! And comfort to you as you say goodbye.