April 9, 2008

How many 1 cent stamps to pay for the war?


As of May 12th, first class mail stamps are going up. 42 cents for one piece of mail! 62 cents for a square greeting card! For someone who often writes snail mail in lieu of e-mail, I have to count the remaining 41 cent stamps that I have (try unraveling & counting those cumbersome rolls of stamps!) and then buy 1 cent stamps that are often very ugly and which get lost so easily. It's like I threw away a penny when I lose a stamp (but not really b/c I care more about the stamp than I do the penny, weird, yes?). So I am pleased to know that the Forever stamps will last between now and, theoretically, forever. (Who knows if they'll take my Forever stamps in 2020.) Hearing this announcement of the increase in stamp prices, I immediately Googled for information about where all my pennies are going to... and I don't know. I don't know where all that money is going to. Can someone enlighten me? Not so Funny question is, how many 1 cent stamps do we have to buy from the U.S. postal office in order to pay off the 2.5 trillion dollar war? Hmmm?

No comments: