April 10, 2008

Would I carry the torch or go to the Olympics?

Some folks have signed petitions. Other folks congregate in front of the BART station in downtown Berkeley to bring attention to the plight of Tibetans. Other folks have contacted the National Olympic Committee representatives to voice their opinions. Some, like Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi, have decided not to attend the opening of the Olympics.

In most situations, I'm inclined to think that it is much, much more preferable to be FOR something rather than be AGAINST something. Making a positive statement for a positive outcome seems more constructive, so the question is not really boycott or not boycott.

No matter how we look at it, we cannot examine the Olympics in an a-political way because it IS about sports and athleticism and sportsmanship, but also about politics. What pushes our buttons and what persuades us to speak out and stand up about a cause? What rallies you towards the cause of helping Tibetans on the other side of the world -- and I mean to really do something instead of saying "those of you who can afford to go to the Olympics really should not go"? I'm not going to the Olympics, and I'm not carrying a torch, so what is my part in all this?

Last night, on the news, the reporter for Channel 5 News asked a few protesters to point out Tibet on the world map. Sadly, very few even knew the region where Tibet was located. I'm willing to bet that if asked, they would know exactly where China is located. If I cared about the killings in Tibet, I should know where those atrocities are happening. It doesn't help that I know more about the perpetrators than the victims.

When I saw the mile-long line of protestors walking up and down Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley on Sunday, I wanted to jump out there and join them -- grab a banner or poster and traipse up and down the streets. But it also seemed so false and pretentious for me to wave a couple of posters for one night just to appease my need to reassure myself that I am trying to make a difference in the world. It's laughable, and demeaning and condescending and patronizing and dismissive of what is really at stake. People. Human beings. Human lives.

I don't know what to suggest for those who are itching to take a stand. For me, the first thing would be to find a solid non-profit group in the Bay Area that knows what they are talking about, that knows the situation in Tibet, and commit myself to their local project -- they would be tapped into what is happening and I can do much more good with their guidance than on my own trying to protest against Beijing. As for those who don't know where Tibet can be found, I suggest http://www.tibetanfreedomtorch.org/. Also, buy a world map. Please.

No comments: