April 15, 2008

Three Easy Ways to Be Greener

As we move toward Earth Day and warmer summer temperatures, I have to think about how best to stay "green" and still do what I do best: enjoy the sun! Try these easy FanHATstic tips:

#1. Summers in Berkeley are cool and breezy so open the windows and enjoy the fresh air. If you have to use the AC, turn up the thermostat two degrees instead of keeping it in the low numbers. Don't forget to close the windows tightly if you turn on the AC. On really warm days, I like taking the kites out to Cesar Chavez park near the marina -- the winds are fanHATstic up on those hills! And if you pack a picnic, it's even better...

#2. Instead of using a water hose to wash your car (hey, neighbor who lives across the street from me, I'm talking to you...), consider using a sponge and bucket. Get a bunch of friends together and throw a car-washing pizza party! I usually go to a place like Solar Car Wash instead of an automatic car wash place and I always let the car air dry.

#3. Turn down the fridge. Well, what I mean is, turn down the knob on the fridge that keeps the fridge cold. I have my fridge on a nice "5" out of 7 and the veggies are frozen, especially spinach. So, I turned it down to 3 or 4. Let's hope it works! Also, how many times have I stood in front of the refrigerator with the door open on a hot summer day because I need instant cooling? Doing no good for my electricity there...

If you have other tips, share them!

No comments: