December 30, 2008

Three Cups of Tea: in the airport


While delayed at the airport (on my way to snowy white Christmas in the midwest), I picked up for the first time a copy of Three Cups of Tea. I usually read books rather quickly (I read Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao in one sitting), but this one has taken me a long time to read -- because I keep crying. Every page, something makes me tear up. And I hate doing that in public. It's one thing to read a book on the plane, but it's another when I've got tears running down my face and I'm sniffling like I have a cold.



So, I haven't finished the book, but so far it is an incredible read. It's been out for a while, and I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't read it sooner. But it is an amazing. I recommend it wholeheartedly. Please read it. If you don't have a copy, please visit their website to purchase a book instead of buying elsewhere. It helps support their cause. When I get done, I'll post more about Three Cups of Tea.




Also, from their website, I learned about Pennies for Peace. That's a project I'd like to think on -- and hopefully participate in even though I don't teach a class of students.




More to come in the new year...

No comments: