January 22, 2009

Looking for Tet


I didn't think it would be possible, but I am fairly certain that I am heartsick for Tet. The true Tet, the real atmosphere of Tet with all the colors and sounds, smells and images. As Tet approaches (four days and counting!), I feel sadder and sadder when I start reading the articles online and seeing it in the newspapers. The websites are the worse! They post pictures and photos in real time. They have recipes and contests. There are music downloads and articles about traditional costumes and rituals. Advertisements flash on left and right sidebars telling me to send e-Cards, flowers, gifts of all kinds to friends and family "back home."

Today, when it's only four days from Tet, I hardly see traces of the preparation and celebration -- not even a flash of red or a whisper of firecrackers. No vendors hawking their wares, no restaurants advertising special menus. Surely no one I know around here is painting their doors in new colors. I almost don't want to go to the bank to get new money for Lucky Envelopes (that is a tragedy, if that doesn't happen).

There is such a big contrast between my normal routine in these next few days, and what I see on the Vietnamese websites -- the feeling is as if everyone "over there" or "out here" is celebrating except me. Makes me wish I were there -- anywhere -- in the midst of Tet. I miss it. And it isn't even here...

No comments: