May 7, 2007

Picasso and TAT

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday at the Picasso (and American Artists) exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art when my brother turned to me, while standing in front of a Picasso painting, and said, "I love this painting."

Now, you must understand why I was astonished to hear him say this. He is not a professed art lover. He loves WOW (World of Warcraft, folks, and I'd never have figured it out if he hadn't told me). He follows the avatars and tracks the value of his paladdin on eBay. He works with computers and science and loves to cook. He does not usually go to art exhibits. He prefers reading science fiction and is not an art critic. And after 25 years of being his sister, I would never have pegged him as being an art afficionado.

But, life always brings us surprises. After living years apart from each other, the T. siblings have returned to the Bay Area, and the discoveries never cease. On this warm Sunday afternoon, not only did my little brother explain to me why Picasso's piece was especially significant in the art world, noting the brush strokes and the colors and the texture, he very elegantly used the artist's dismissive wave, saying, "It's just art."

Silly me. What do I know about art or brothers. Apparently, nothing.

2 comments:

ashley said...

Great post, HAT. It's amazing what we don't know about each other after all our lives.

hat said...

So true, Ash. Sometimes I wonder about what "new" things about me that my readers are discovering -- it's a scary thought!