June 20, 2005

Fulbright staffers

I just called the Fulbright U.S. Student Programs office to inquire about my departure from Vietnam and arrival in the U.S. I am not a person easily displeased, but her behavior was utterly unacceptable, and I am compelled to write about it in order to vent my frustration.

The secretary in Jonathan Akeley's office (JA being the Program Manager for the Southeast Asia programs) has made an enemy out of me...and she should wish that she had not.

Calling long distance--from another country by the way--is not easy b/c the connection is bound to be rather poor. I can understand the frustration of being on the other end of the line that is crackling and hissing; however, it is not appropriate for her to be curt, abrupt, and disrespectful. I am making an expensive phone call to inquire about an important matter. I am not begging for money. I am not a telemarketer. I am not a pizza delivery person looking for the correct address. Miss Secretary should know that anyone who calls this particular office has some legitimate business or inquiries and should be treated with respect and polite courtesy.

There should be no superiority-complex and no ego in this business, especially in an office working to promote culture and education and mutual understand and exchange.

I scoff at this type of irrational and unreasonable behavior. I scoff at such rudeness, particularly rudeness exemplified in one who is assisting others in their search for culture and value through the Fulbright program. I scoff, scoff, scoff...

No comments: