December 6, 2006

James Kim: in memoriam

You may have already heard/read the news that authorities discovered the body of James Kim earlier today. James Kim, an editor at CNET, and his family were in Oregon for Thanksgiving and were returning to the Bay Area when their station wagon got stuck in the snow (what happened, I wonder?). On Saturday, December 2nd, JK left his wife, Katy, and two daughters (Penelope, 4, and Sabine, 7 months) to search for help. He never returned. His wife and daughters were found by rescue workers on Monday, and there were plans to increase the efforts to find Kim. It's been 11 days since the family was stranded.

His family are in good condition, but they are probably devastated. I cannot imagine what it must have felt like for him to leave his family, knowing that chances are he would never see them again. That moment when he decides to step out of the car and into the snow -- dressed in nothing but street gear -- to search in unfamiliar terrain for a way out for this family. I cannot imagine how his wife must have felt as she nursed her two daughters for all those days and nights in the freezing weather.

His body was found in a place in the canyon not far from the family car; they were separated by a schism. Authorities think perhaps he might have been returning to his family or perhaps he was disoriented. The irony, too, that they were returning from a Thanksgiving gathering with their family in Oregon. The incredible sadness the entire Kim family must be feeling at this moment. News articles have added that the family does not want to be contacted yet. Deep mourning for such a loss.

Readers have commented that what Kim did was what a father would do, what a husband would do, what a hero would do. I don't know whether I would want my father to make that kind of sacrifice. The sheer implausibility of finding help in that kind of space is enough for me to want him to stay. No, I would not want my father or my husband or my brother to be that hero...

I am touched by the efforts of the people who search for the Kim family. They found the family after such a long time, but the girls are ok -- thank God. I am touched by the friends and co-workers who have gathered in support of the family. It is true community in action.

Though I do not know the Kim family, I wish them enough friends and love and support to endure the grief. B/c it shall come to pass...

Please send them a note of encouragement.

No comments: