July 20, 2007

4.2 @ 4:43 a.m.


At 4:43 this morning, as I was fast asleep, Wayward Hayward faultline struck again. This time, it was a 4.2 magnitude quake, 3.6 miles deep, and 2 miles east of Oakland. Nothing was broken and nothing fell, but I was shaken a bit out of my weary sleep. The earth is changing, and here in the Bay Area, the effects are being felt in increasing depth and magnitude.

Wayward Hayward runs through the parking lot of the seminary where I work, and my office in the main administration building is about five paces from the parking lot. And, it's very close to home. I walk about 5 minutes and I reach the office, which means I'm much close to the faultline that I would like to be.

The shakemap tells you where the earthquake occurred, and the litle shades of green fading to yellow to red -- that's where I am. We have had 4 earthquakes in the past year, and it would seem that California has "hogged" more than our fair share of these tremblers. I could stand to have a few less...

The following states have not had a 3.5 earthquake in the past 30 years:
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    North Dakota
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    District of Columbia


All this is to say that I grow more and more worried about the state of our globe. This reinforces the "magnitude" of our environmental issues. Greening our globe isn't just something to take up if we feel bored or if we need some sort of socialization mechanism. It is for survival.

3 comments:

mendacious said...

i'm for that totally too- but as people we have expiration dates, is it likely that the earth should go on forever? not all earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and the like are bad. the earth is a living moving thing and we're on it. and sometimes we just don't have control over it- regardless.

: )

Anonymous said...

Glad you're okay, HAT.

(Am I reading that list correctly? NC has had an earthquake in the last 30 years? I must've slept through it).

hat said...

The last earthquake in NC occurred on Friday, Nov. 3, 2006, at 10:48am. It was a 2.5 magnitude, 2km deep, 25 miles W of Greensboro and 15 N or Lexington.
Check out this website to know when the last earthquake happened in your state:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/last_earthquake.php