July 27, 2007

things that kill

This is a very minor item of note, but I wanted to share it anyway, since it is a lesson learned for yours truly. I've learned that I am now allergic to three things which utterly baffle me, for I've only recently developed these allergies (say, the last 2 years). (1) Fish: After caring for my two goldfish, Wallace and Rilke, for about 6 months, I developed hives and rashes and began to itch all over. It turns out that my father is the same, and his doctor has confirmed. If I were to visit my doctor like I should have, she would tell me the same. After a short period of time, allergens just didn't like our bodies and vice versa. Not good. (2) Wine: I suppose it is the sulfite in the wine, but I've begun developing hives and rashes when consuming white and red wine. Much as I love muscato canelli, I cannot drink it. Poo. (3) Lobster: I've very recently developed an uncontrollable itch every time I eat lobster, whether it be "tom hum rang muoi" the way my mom makes it (picture shown above), or whether it is lobster meat stuff in delicious sole cooked in a fire-baked oven. Terrible itch. Tastes wonderful, but terrible, terrible itch.

This has brought several things to my attention (with more emphasis) and with which you, dear readers, might sympathize:

(1) I love things that can kill me.

(2) I learn my lessons very slowly. It took several tries before I could figure out what was wrong. I have not been attentive to find out what those things are until it is too late and I am beset by terrible, horrible hives and rashes, just so my body can say Do Not Eat.

(3) I like to take some risks. I enjoy these things so much, I'm a glutton for punishment and pain.

Why do we do these things, I wonder. I'm reminded of Mark Doty... True, isn't the scale of what we desire grander than what it seems?

No comments: