August 29, 2007

minor revolutions

Just this afternoon, we felt another minor earthquake. There were quite a few of us still working in our offices, and when the building shook, it was such a little shake that we didn't even stop our activities. Everyone continued at such a normal pace that I'd have to say the quake was dismissed as insignificant. As we continue to experience these little shocks, I see more and more that we have become lulled into a comfortable disregard for such little things. We no longer pay attention, and we no longer hold our breaths as the buildings shifted left to right.

As I think about this, I can't help but wonder how much longer we will be able to ignore such movements. And, what other occurrences in our lives have we dismissed with such complacency, without so much as an acknowledgement?

Is this similar to how we respond to the rapid changes taking over the earth? Is this how we respond to the rapidly melting ice caps? The quickly deteriorating forests? The steadily rising ocean levels? The climbing carbon emissions? Is this how we choose to respond? To do nothing at all?

Actually, no. As I can personally attest, the greening revolution is catching on, and spreading fast -- even faster than wild forest fires. Haha. I'm a part of the greening initiative at my church and at my seminary. We are starting small, and starting slow but steadily. We are only a small contingent of the larger movements, which is proof that change is happening...

1 comment:

Cue said...

Well said!