January 16, 2008

Napa Valley wines = hives


Last Saturday, we took a trip to Napa Valley to visit a couple of wineries. I was excited since this was my first trip, and I was the only one who had never been to Napa Valley. We were blessed with beautiful weather, and a great time was had by all. We visited Castella di Amorosa, Sterling, Robert Mondavi, Franciscan, and Domaine Carneros. KT is a member of Sterling, Robert Mondavi, and Franciscan so we waltzed right into the members only parlor and had our free reign of wine tasting as only VIP members could. CF was working on Saturday at Domaine Carneros so even though we arrived pretty late, we still got a tour and tasting -- thank you for friends in high places (although, we love you for other reasons, too!). We paid for a wonderful tour of and wine tasting at Castella di Amorosa -- which has convinced me that I would love to, one day, inhabit a castle. If only my Prince Charming could charge up the ramparts on a dark stallion. Alas, Alas. I'm more of the Malificent-type of maiden. I could have spent all day in that little castle which was merely a winery-imitation, but it really swept me a way. It only takes that much, really. I've also discovered that I have a soft spot for dessert wines and port. I prefer white wines, reds are tolerable, but sweet wines -- oh, I could drink those any time of the day!

At Castella di Amorosa, I especially enjoyed: Dolcino, Il Raggio, and the Late Harvest (I took home a bottle of Dolcino and Il Raggio b/c the Late Harvest was divine, but just a tad too sweet.) With Il Raggio, our tour guide suggested soaking fruits in Il Raggio for several hours, chill, then serve over ice cream. Thank you, Cindy!

At Sterling: Malvasia Bianca and Muscato Cannelli

At Robert Mondavi: the Chardonnay Reserve and the Muscat. I also HAD to purchase the chocolate cabernet sauvignon. Delicious over any sort of dessert, but especially wonderful over vanilla bean ice cream.

At Franciscan: the Port, the Port, the Port. I tried the blends, one was the Magnificat and the other I can't remember, but the Magnificat burned my throat. I was just hankering for port by that time!

At Domaine Carneros: sparkling wines! I tried La Reve and the Brut Rose, and I'm torn between the two, but I think La Reve was my bubbly of choice.

By the time we reached home, I had broken out in hives -- my arms, neck, throat, collar, upper body -- red, splotchy, hivvy. Took Benadryl and immediately went to bed. As I write this, I'm still itchy, and it was several days past. Alas, it would seem I don't have a very high tolerance for that much alcohol.

For the next few weeks, I will try my best to share my favorite pics of the trip for your viewing pleasure.

If anyone has any suggestions on good dessert wines, please, please let me know!

1 comment:

ashley said...

Perhaps too many tanins? Some folks seem to have this reaction to wine.

I envy your trip - and any castle is magical, right?