March 28, 2008

Five Random Points on a Friday Afternoon

(1) I don't always pick up my cell phone. I am so very sorry. But, I can help it. I dislike being interrupted, just as I imagine most folks dislike being interrupted by my phone calls. I don't pick up the phone while in the bathroom, restroom, or in the basement when I'm doing laundry. I talk while I'm sitting in the BART station, bus, or subway, but I try to keep my voice down. However, there are times when the occasion doesn't allow for private phone calls in public spaces, so I don't answer. I also don't answer the phone when I'm driving the car. (There are exceptions, of course, but I usually hold fast to this one rule.)

(2) My right thumb and wrist are in a Futuro brace b/c of -- carpal tunnel syndrome? I dunno. But, I noticed that my wrists are often angled an improper angles, and when I work for long hours on the laptop w/o a mouse but only a touchpad, it hurts more and more. Strange?

(3) I played and lost my first game of Settlers of Catan. Ha ha! I thought I've outgrown board games (other than Scrabble - b/c who can outgrow Scrabble?!) only to realize that I am super addicted to this silly game of strategy, which only serves to emphasize all to strongly my stupidity and inability to strategize and analyze. Need I point out the contradiction? I'm obsessed over a game that capitalizes on the American individual's (usually) egocentric, self-centered, aggressive, domineering, imperialistic greed and competitiveness. I also can't help but think about the early colonial days when we were trying to colonize and dominate everything that didn't belong to us.

(4) I bought my first pair of shoes, for $200+. Because my feet deserve it and I need to dress up for work? Ha! No matter how I "dress it up," this confession still reeks. It's ridiculous that I succumbed to such moments of insanity. Instead of saving up to buy a condo or to lease a new apartment (before this summer begins), I went out and purchased a pair of shoes costing as much as a certain government employee's two months' salary in Vietnam. I wear them with guilty pleasure. (P.S. I can only say this here b/c I know my siblings don't read this blog; if you know them, are in contact with them, or will be seeing them soon, please, please, please don't say anything. Gracias. Merci. Danke.)

(5) I haven't done my taxes. Sigh.

2 comments:

abbykk said...

I haven't done my taxes either. sigh.

and i promise not to tell your sister about the shoes. we all have those little secrets....

ashley said...

Please, please share photos of said shoes. I mean, if you've already indulged, please share the goods with us. ;)