May 8, 2008

The permanence of departures

After my Bolinao 52 hatpost, I'm guessing a few of you (ok, maybe 1) may be wondering, "How did HAT's family get to the U.S.?"

If you were like my first ESL teacher, you would have stood in the middle of the classroom, flapped your arms like a plane-but-more-like-a-chicken, asking if we came by plane or by boat. (I've written about this in an essay while in grad school - and I know at least 1 person, Mrs. Oja, remembers this particular piece of prose - but it hasn't seen the light of day since then.)

If you were me back then, barely 7 and knowing only a smidgen of English, you'd have the same thought as I did -- namely, the teacher is crazy if she thinks we took the boat from Viet Nam to San Rafael, CA. But, never mind. I was little, very little, ok? I didn't think about geography too clearly. All I knew was that the distance was far, and we stayed in Bataan for several months before reaching the U.S. I naturally thought it was a stupid idea to ask if we came by boat or by plane.

Our stories are not unlike those of many other families. Our family narratives are as complex as they are long. But there are many stories that are similar to the narratives of the larger Viet diaspora.

Ong ba ngoai (mother's parents) had siblings who worked in the church (either Lutheran or Presbyterian, I can't recall). After April 30, 1975, when the northern Vietnamese Communist army invaded (they use the verb liberate) Saigon, the siblings were lifted and were taken to the U.S. Grandparents were eventually sponsored and settled in the U.S.

My dad's youngest brother, chu Trung, and his wife at that time, co Dung, managed to climb on some raft at the harbor and were picked up by US ships. No papers, no belongings, and she was pregnant with their firstborn. They eventually settled in Florida.

The years between 75 when my uncle left, and 86 when my immediately family came to the US, Chu Trung and my father prepared the paperwork to sponsor our immediate family. Many years of papers and interviews, questionnaires and money, back and forth. Proof of relations. Proof of blood relations. Proof of financial stability. Proof of economic, religious, political hardships. Proof. It was not to be until the mid 90's when I found the evidence: black and white photographs of my father and uncle, each of their images marked by my father with a red X to indicate they were brothers living in the same household and raised by the same parents. Red ink, so unlike the blood that tied them together.

We passed physicals and interviews and gave money and more money and eventually were issued visas. In November 1985, we left Saigon. That was one of the saddest days of my life -- I'm sure of it. I have photos to prove it. But I have so little memories of it.

We arrived in Bataan's refugee camp and promptly got stuck. We'd applied for entry to the U.S. but my uncle suddenly declared financial instability and couldn't go through with the sponsorship. I was blissfully ignorant of everything; I went to ESL class; I swam in the ponds; I worshipped in the small chapel. My parents, on the other hand, were frantic with finding a sponsor. I never knew how perilously close we were to being returned to Vietnam or, worse yet, having to stay at the refugee camp indefinitely. My mother's parents eventually sponsored us to California. We arrived in Bataan in November; we left in April of '86.

I have forgotten a large portion of that day's events. I remember the bus that took us from the refugee camp. I remember being sad. I don't remember at all the photos that were taken of us -- but those moments were captured on film and years later those photos were miraculously brought to us.

The day we left Bataan was another one of those saddest days of my life. At that age, at that time, departures of any kind felt permanent. That kind of leaving, even at my age, I understood.

It was a big plane. We arrived at SFO. We went through customs. I understood little. I remember nothing. My arrival in the U.S. didn't feel as memorable as my leaving Viet Nam and Bataan.

Now, it seems I've descended into memories and it's hard to pull back... I'll have to end this here until the next HATpost.

1 comment:

Cue said...

I still can't get over the Wonton! ...My god. Stunning, to this day.

ps: I KNOW I botch your name! I just know it. Next time I see you, you're going to have to help me get it right. :)