October 10, 2008

Updating nothing but HAT's

Lately, there's been nothing but HAT's busy-ness in the office, in the art world, in church, and of course, in my head.

unFound was a successful launch at Interplayce in Oakland, and

a terrifically crazy week has ended at the seminary - the customary culmination of two months of preparation.

I'm looking forward to visiting the Sis in a week or so, and the Bro is off visiting friends.

Church has also been keeping me busy -- always in the forefront of my mind. Committee meetings and visioning sessions and print materials, etc., have taken over my weekends (and thinking about them on weeknights) while office work consumes my days. This Sunday there will be another committee meeting which will naturally generate a little bit more work while the stuff I still have is burning a hole through my back burner. Ha.

The first weekend in November, I'll be attending the ordination of a great friend, and lucky me, I get to play a minor part in the service. The honor is mine, and I am absolutely thrilled to be invited. Come to think of it, I've not had the honor to participate in either my dad's (mom was chosen) or my sister's (dad was chosen).

Tonight and tomorrow night, I'll be attending jazz shows. Tonight, I get to revel in the music on my own (and after a week's worth of Hospitality for top guns, I'm ready for a slow night), and tomorrow, I get to enjoy the music and ambience with friends.

Next week, I'll be setting up shop in the Bade with Abby so that unFound can find a spot on the Bade's walls. And, we'll have to figure out a good date and time for an opening reception -- so more work to organize.

So while it is busy, there is balance. My life has been steadily busy with much work and other business, but I also have a lot of great time with loved ones -- quick dinners, phone chats, some (few) emails (nonexistent in the past two weeks, practically).

But, guess what I do not make time for. Just guess. I've got three manuscripts sitting on my bookshelf that need to be critiqued and I'm betting those folks are not happy that I've put them off for so long. I've not yet produced any piece for the writing group which meets this Monday. I just posted a verse on our renga blog which I was supposed to have posted on Sunday (sorry, guys!). And, I've browsed a poetry book in over 3 weeks. I am starving for poetry.

Or am I? I've come to realize that reading poetry for me is like drinking water. I think I can go for two days without any water (I differentiate between plain H2O and other liquids) but quickly realize I basically crackle and crumble to pieces when I don't hydrate. So I'm cranking out poetry verses while subsisting on nothing but drops. Drops. Not even a trickle.

Life is full -- it is filled and good. But it would seem there is a time to slow down, too. This is just it, friends. There is nothing further to report: nothing bad, no new surprises. All is well. Business is usual in that business is never usual.

No comments: