September 27, 2009

New HAT Status: Godmother

My dear, dear friends M and T recently announced that they are expecting their very first baby. The excitement, the joys, the mystery, the expectation... I get to experience one degree of all those emotions because M and T have also asked me to be Baby's godmother!! Lord, believe that? Can you imagine me as anyone's Godmother! I will be maaaagnificent... I can't even describe my delight, joy, excitement, thrill, etc, etc, etc...

Baby is not due until the spring, but I'm already getting a headstart in my new status as godmother-to-be, which, as I understand it, is uber-difficult to describe and fulfill. In December, we will find out if it is Baby Girl or Baby Boy. Baby's mom has already informed me that whether it be XX or XY, that little baby is going to be all blue or all pink. So, I'm having to wrap my mind around very color-coded and gender-specific toys, books, clothes, etc.

In the back of my head, I think, as godmother, don't I get to be the voice of dissent? Will I be the one who says, hey, pink isn't just for girls! And football isn't just for boys! and, hey, what's wrong with bringing G.I. Joe figurines in for tea time?

It appears I'm going to face a tough battle ahead of me, but in the meantime, I'm going to pick out the pinkest yarn there is and am going to knit me a pink baby blankie.

No comments: