November 11, 2009

Juggling the FRIENDS Ball

Last Sunday, our invincible Children's Time preachers came together to share with the congregation a message about Juggling the Balls of Work, Health, Friends, Family, and Faith. They were impassioned with the Spirit of God, speaking with clarity, energy, and focus. Although they said disparagingly that it was disjointed, disorganized, and unrehearsed, I could tell the Spirit was speaking through them with clear messages for us, the people in the pews, to reflect upon. The following is an excerpt of what Donna shared about juggling the FRIENDS ball (symbolized by a lovely snow globe).

Friends are important in my life-are they in yours? I want you to close your eyes and think about your very first friend, your best friend, the friend you did lots of stuff with, the friend you got in trouble with you-know that friend. Okay I see a lot of people smiling, so I know you know what I mean. Okay open your eyes, but continue to think about your friend or friends. So friends are important. They are so important that there are even songs about friends –

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...
(Friends theme song)

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
If you've got troubles, I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and can see it through
Cause you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
(Toy Story I)

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come runnin' to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend
(Carole King)

So through whatever goes on in my life I know that my friends will be there for me. We can travel, we can explore and we can have adventures. I can call my friend at 2:00 a.m. and it’s okay, because that friend is the best listener. We can go shopping or not and just window shop. We can sit in the car and talk for hours and then when we get home call each other on the phone and talk some more. Friends doing stuff together, talking with each other about stuff at home, at work, when you're sick or even when you just need a prayer. My friends, my peeps - the kind of friends you have too and that is what’s important in my life -- helps keep my life balanced. I would be crushed if I ever lost my friends-it would be like having a snow globe that didn’t have any snow.

No comments: