March 5, 2010

i carry it in my heart

Something strange and exciting in the air propelled me from Berkeley toward St. Louis, leaving behind a whole host of friends, and some family (new and familiar), as well as a great faith community. As a dear coworker told me, this transition should inspire me to look toward the new, to focus on what I'm heading into, instead of regretting what I leave behind. In fact, I'm not leaving behind anything or anyone so much as expanding my circle of exploration.

As I settle into this new geography, as I settle into this new psychological space, I lift up the second stanza of a favorite poem by e.e. cummings:

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

1 comment:

pen said...

Lovely. Happy journeys, HAT!