March 11, 2010

Looking at Enormous Things with Small Eyes

When I pose for pictures, whether by myself or in groups, photographers, amateurs and professionals alike, are always telling me to open my eyes. They don't seem to recognize that when I smile, I can only smile WIDE, and when I smile a lot, my eyes disappear. I can't help it. I blame it on my genes passed down from my parents, because my sometimes cheery disposition often results in my eyes totally disappearing into little dots, and when the picture-takers look through their camera lens, they always tell me to open my eyes. (This could almost be a spiritual reminder -- keep your eyes open!)

Surprisingly, though, my little eyes see so many things! Remember what Rumi wrote?

Look at your eyes. They are small
but they see enormous things.

The following photos are snapshots of the St. Louis Botanical Gardens, taken on my cellphone, when I visited my sister about a year ago. We were walking through the gardens and passed by this great little pond.

I'm surprised that my eyes recognized this beautiful scene, and I am thankful that technology allowed me to capture on film what my spirit sees.

No comments: