November 17, 2006

Moving: nothing but HAT's

I've meandered over to this newer blog, and am feeling a bit bereft leaving my old postings on the other site. But of course, thanks to the ingenuity of the cyber world in which we now exist, everything I've shared on the old blog still exists at www.hoanganhtran.blogspot.com

There is, somehow, a greater sense of loss in this transition. The movement from old to new didn't result from the arrival of newer, more well-thought out ideas. Instead, it's because of a (selfish?) desire for gimicky gadgets. Blogger says it is to be standards-compliant. But it's not, really. Could this substitution originate from a desire to be decked out in fresh new attire -- laid out on display...?

Blogs are created for the personal needs of the writer, the individual wishing to make her mark on the world, vying for some attention in cyber space. Blogs are also created with the audience in mind. Who am I writing for? Who sees this page? Why do I do this? Does it matter whether or not anyone views my blog? Does it matter whether or not anyone makes a comment? Why do I care? Why suddenly this concern about what the blog looks like, about who sees it, etc.? Ultimately, it comes down to me, me, me, me -- there's not enough room here... I am a product of my environment? Yikes!

No comments: