December 23, 2006

Hayward going wayward...AGAIN... before Xmas!

Not only is the Hayward faultline (not, mind you, the Andreas faultline) going wayward by means of shaking me out of my little Christmas boots, but it is trying to, I believe, remove me physically from the geography of the California coastline. Which means, essentially, that you my friends on the East coast, in Canada, in Vietnam, in Japan (Eri!!!), in Egypt, in Germany, in Norway, and in Chile (and Spain! Spain!), you will very, very soon be able to visit me on an island instead of on the U.S. mainland! Because, verily I say unto you, there will be a day of reckoning, when the earth will shake (and not as a result of me doing various sorts of aerobic exercise), the houses will tumble and California (or a portion of her) will float out into the Pacific Ocean. Yes. That's it. Floating away... there we go, floating merrily along. Then, it'll be just like the Island of Dr. Moreau. Mwaaahahahaha....

You might ask why I'm still able to laugh about the fact that this is the second earthquake (3.6 tonight) in two days (3.7 on Wednesday, no casualties, no damage reported). It is because my sister, my aunt, and I have just returned from a very proper and fitting Candlelight Service at our church in Oakland, during which we celebrated the nativity story, the passing of the Light, and observed suitable periods of meditation and reflection. I have therefore prayed for my soul -- I do so regularly -- and have also prayed for you my friends (yes, even for you, Ivan, and especially for you C.) So there's no need to worry if the Big One comes along in my sleep.

Lest you be afraid that I force my religion on you (only the most deserving ones), I have chosen moments of silence in observance of your own faith traditions (or lack thereof) so that you will have very merry holiday seasons in this world. On earth. Joyeux Noelle a tout le monde!

But in all seriousness, immediately after the quake, I turned on the news to see what they would report. The two anchors briefly mentioned that there was a quake, that it was only 3.6 compared to Wednesday's 3.7, and then they turned to the Sports anchor, asking about the update on the basketball game between some team or rather that beat the 2nd best team in the Eastern conference.

I was surprised. Not because of the station's blatant disregard for what I considered important (a harbinger of the things to come, perhaps?). In the scheme of things, what I consider fearful is not what is considered news-worthy. However, how is it possible that they could react so nonchalantly about something like this, a clearer indicator that we are much closer to experiencing a major earthquake in the Bay Area. It's probably not their job to upset the news-watchers, but isn't necessary to say something more?

The dismissal was very quick: no casualties, no damages reported. The end. On to something more interesting, on to something that really excites the American citizens: sports. Really? Could that be? Are we only interested in numbers reported hurt or dead, or the estimate of damage done to buildings and streets? No one was hurt, no buildings collapsed so we have no news this evening, ladies and gentlemen. Let us move toward more pleasant topics of conversation like basketball competitions. Why do we not acknowledge the good that comes out of something like this? Are we so de-sensitized that minor things of positive proportions don't seem to entice us anymore? Thankfully, no one was hurt. Thankfully, no one lost a business or a home. Thankfully.

Is it not equally important to forewarn others? Perhaps I am too paranoid. However, I do have my red Red Cross backpack and some emergency supplies. If something should happen, I might be prepared for the first 5 minutes and then... chaos. But imagine that. I'm in a home, sheltered, with money, food and water, and have means to take care if a natural disaster strikes. But there are so many others who are not. So many. Will they be interested in watching basketball scores, I wonder...?

1 comment:

Kim said...

WHY have I never heard of this fault line before? Be safe and be careful, and have a very Merry Christmas with your family in TX! Love you!