December 22, 2006

Laundry woes

I've been doing loads of laundry before packing for Texas, and it seems endless. The situation increasingly worsens as the hours tick away towards tonight's Candlelight Service (at 7:30 p.m. in downtown Oakland). The problem is: we no longer have our own washer and dryer. The W&D were sold when my sister and I moved out of the old apartment into this 2 bedroom unit. It's a beautiful bit of architecture with high ceilings and arches and more nooks and crannies than I can fill. It's great, really, with a dining room, living room, kitchen, and breakfast nook. The two bedrooms are upstairs with the bathroom sitting in-between on the landing. The only problem is, this is seminary housing for faculty, so we have to share the public launderette with other folks. We like our neighbors (and I hope they're not reading this) but they are terrible at laundry. I'm rather lazy when it comes to doing laundry, but I do my very best to follow the three rules when using public space:

  1. Always remove lint/dust after drying.
  2. Never do laundry after 10:00 p.m.
  3. Always promptly remove clothes after washing/drying.
The thing about our neighbors is that they often forget. There are days when clothes remain in the machines forever. I've had to many times remove dust. Ughh. And I can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep to the "whooing" sound of the dryer.

I'd like to think I'm a patient person, but there's only so much one can take. I really, really, really miss my own W & D and wish we had not agreed to move into a place w/o our own machines.

So I am now waiting to do my laundry. Hopefully we'll have it done before we leave for TX!

No comments: