December 9, 2006

Next stop: South Pole Colony, Moon

On NPR this morning, they talked briefly about the colony that will be set up near the south pole of Earth's moon, where there seems to be most sun, which will allow the settlement to use solar power. By 2024, the south pole colony will function like a "pit stop" for space travelers, where they can fill up on hydrogen, oxygen, and the like.

By 2024, I will be close to 50 and my kids, who hopefully will be in their early teens by then, will be thinking about settling on the moon for retirement. This isn't implausible, when you think about it. When 1984 was written, who woulda thunk we'd be where we are now? We're walking in space, watching Mars on the screen, dived into the ocean depths, we've microscoped into the womb (yesterday I saw on the news station show little dolphins in the womb!), so many other things... what amazing wonders.

So, I've decided I should begin looking at interior designs of my house on the moon colony... it's never too early my friends.

1 comment:

Kim said...

This makes me very uneasy, as I have had a major fear of space travel ever since I first heard the song "Space Oddity" by David Bowie when I was little. Also, "The Final Countdown" by Europe. I don't even think that song is about space travel, but I found it really, really upsetting.